About Ward 1
Ward 1 is a culturally rich section of the city that serves many functions for many different people.
Planning in Ward 1
The Comprehensive Plan for the National Capital: District Elements has Area Elements (chapters) that provide geographically-specific policy guidance. Area Elements that cover neighborhoods within Ward 1 include: Mid-City
The Comprehensive Plan’s Area Elements use planning boundaries, not Ward boundaries. The Comprehensive Plan is a 20-year plan, while Ward boundaries are political boundaries that can change every 10 years due to redistricting following the decennial Census
Neighborhood and corridor plans for Ward 1 include:
- Adams Morgan Vision Framework : a planning initiative completed in 2016.
Pleasant Commercial Revitalization Plan: a Small Area Plan completed in 2010.
Columbia Heights Neighborhood Investment Fund: a priority investment plan completed in 2008.
- Park Morton Redevelopment Plan: a planning initiative for Park Morton under the New Communities program, completed in 2008
- Georgia Avenue-Petworth Metro Station Area and Corridor Plan: a Small Area Plan approved by the DC Council in 2006.
- DUKE Framework for a Cultural Destination on Greater Shaw-U Street: a Small Area Plan approved by DC Council in 2005.
Development Review in Ward 1
Historic Preservation in Ward 1
- Ward 1 Heritage Guide
- Greater U Street Historic District
- Kalorama Triangle Historic District
- LeDroit Park Historic District
- McMillan Park Reservoir Historic District
- Meridian Hill Historic District
- Mount Pleasant Historic District
- Sixteenth Street Historic District
- Washington Heights Historic District
Ward 1 Maps and Data
Colleen Willger, Senior Neighborhood Planner
Lamont B. Cobb, Neighborhood Planner