Planning in Ward 3
The Comprehensive Plan for the National Capital: District Elements has Area Elements (chapters) that provide geographically-specific policy guidance. Area Elements that cover neighborhoods within Ward 3 include:
- Rock Creek West – This area element completely encompasses the neighborhoods in Ward 3, as well as the neighborhoods in Ward 4 west of Rock Creek Park.
The Comprehensive Plan’s Area Elements use planning boundaries, not Ward boundaries. The Comprehensive Plan is a 20-year plan, while Ward boundaries are political boundaries that can change every 10 years due to redistricting following the decennial Census.
Neighborhood and corridor plans for Ward 3 include:
- Van Ness Commercial District Action Strategy: a Vision Framework completed in 2016.
- Shades of Green Infrastructure & Pavement Removal Strategy for Van Ness: a public space companion piece to the Van Ness Commercial District Action Strategy completed in 2016.
- Tenleytown Retail Action Strategy: a SWOT analysis, retail demand analysis, and strategy completed in 2010.
- Neighborhood Sustainability Indicators Pilot Project: a planning initiative to better define sustainability at the local level for a subsection of Ward 3, completed in 2009.
- Glover Park Commercial District Study: a study completed in 2006.
Development Review in Ward 3
Historic Preservation in Ward 3
- C & O Canal Historic District
- Cleveland Park Historic District
- Foxhall Village Historic District
- Grant Road Historic District
- Massachusetts Avenue Historic District
- Mount Vernon Seminary Historic District
- National Zoological Park Historic District
- Rock Creek Park Historic District
- Washington Cathedral Historic District
- Woodley Park Historic District
Ward 3 Maps and Data