The 2025 DC Historic Preservation Plan completes a series of three plans spanning thirteen years and shifts to a five-year preservation planning cycle to align with the 20-year DC Comprehensive Planning cycle. The Plan's theme Celebrating Our Diversity is inspired by an extraordinary moment of challenge in our nation's history and a nationwide emphasis on inclusiveness in historic preservation. The plan outlines major preservation initiatives, serves as a guide for the DC Historic Preservation Office (HPO) and the Historic Preservation Review Board (HPRB), and is a tool for everyone in the District of Columbia who engages with the District's historic environment.
- 2025 DC Historic Preservation Plan
- Response to Written Comments
- Disaster Resilience Plan for Historic Resources
DC Comprehensive Plan
The Historic Preservation Plan helps to implement the Historic Features elements of the DC Comprehensive Plan. This includes both District Elements and Federal Elements addressing historic features. Other chapters, including the area elements and citywide topical elements also include some provisions related to historic preservation concerns.
- DC Comprehensive Plan, Historic Preservation Element
- Historic Preservation and Historic Features, Federal Element
Previous Historic Preservation Plans
- 2020 DC Historic Preservation Plan
- 2016 DC Historic Preservation Plan
- 2008 – 2012 Historic Preservation Plan
- 2000 DC Historic Preservation Plan
- 1996 DC Historic Preservation Plan