Office of Planning

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Reporting Illegal Work

Anyone may report illegal construction pertaining to historic sites. You may report illegal work anonymously.

How to Identify Illegal Construction

If a property is under construction, DC building codes require a posted permit visible from public space, which lists the permitted work (i.e. "Interior Work Only" or "Wood Window Replacements to Match Original"). If you do not see a permit or if the work appears to violate the terms of a posted permit, you may request an inspection as described below. If you are unsure what the permit allows, please email or call the Historic Preservation Office (HPO), or call the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA), Records Management Division, at (202) 442-4480.

How to Request an Inspection

To report a violation, send an email or call the Historic Preservation Office at (202) 442-7600. You may report violations at any time. For urgent situations outside of normal business hours, report violations by calling 311. 

Please provide the following information:

  • The address, date, and time of the violation
  • Whether the work is in progress or has been completed
  • A brief description of the work being done or completed
  • If possible, the contractor's name, any license plate numbers of the vehicles on site performing the work, and make/model of the vehicles

To check on the status of an inspection request, or for information on the status of an HPO compliance action, send an email or call the HPO at (202) 442-7600.