The Office of Planning works with sister agencies and stakeholders to conduct research and to formulate housing policy and programs that address the District’s housing affordability and affordable housing challenges. Major and ongoing programs include:
- Live Near Your Work – A partnership with American and Georgetown Universities on a down payment assistance program to assist their employees to live closer to their work.
- Housing Development and Data – We provide broad level indicators regarding housing in the District and maintain a tracking database for development projects in the District.
- Inclusionary Zoning – OP recommends potential amendments to the Zoning Commission and assists the Zoning Administrator and DHCD on the administration of the program.
- Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credits (HTC) for Financing Affordable Housing in DC – A joint project with the Historic Preservation Office (HPO) to analyze and promote the use of HTCs for development of affordable housing in the District of Columbia.
Previous efforts include:
- Comprehensive Housing Strategy Task Force – OP provided the Task Force with a presentation summarizing changes in the District since 2000 and providing a forecast for growth.
- Housing + Transportation Index – With the help of the Center for Neighborhood Technology (CNT), OP studied the relative housing and transportation costs across the DC metropolitan area.
For more information on the resources available, contact Art Rodgers, Senior Housing Planner, at (202) 442-8801.