Please Note: Deadline Extended to November 9 due to Hurricane Sandy
The Historic Preservation Office is pleased to announce the availability of nomination forms for the 2013 District of Columbia Awards for Excellence in Historic Preservation. The 10th annual awards ceremony is slated for May 2013 to coincide with Preservation Month.
A new category has been added this year for Volunteerism and Community Involvement to be awarded by HPO’s non-profit partner in the awards ceremony, the DC Preservation League.
Awards will be selected by committee to recognize individuals, initiatives, and completed projects in the following categories:
- Archaeology: Recognition of outstanding achievements in contributing to the understanding of the past through archaeology.
- Design and Construction: Recognition of exceptional design work in restoration, rehabilitation, and/or new construction affecting a landmark or property in a historic district. Projects of all sizes and levels of complexity are encouraged. Submissions may be submitted for residential, commercial, public or institutional categories work. Projects must have been completed within the past three years to be eligible.
- Education: Recognition of innovative and exceptional preservation educational programs, curricula, or informational tools that focus on preservation and history. Outstanding media coverage of preservation issues by reporters, writers, publishers and publications are also eligible.
- Lifetime Achievement: Recognition of an individual who has made significant, long-term (20+ years) contributions to the preservation of Washington’s architectural and cultural resources.
- Stewardship: Recognition of efforts on behalf of a significant historic resource listed in the D.C. Inventory of Historic Sites or the National Register of Historic Places that exemplifies superior stewardship and preservation.
- Volunteerism and Community Involvement: Recognition of volunteer efforts of an individual, group of individuals, or an organizations involved in preservation advocacy, projects or initiatives.
Nomination forms are due no later than November 9, 2012 and may be obtained by contacting Bruce Yarnall at (202) 442-8835 or [email protected].