For several historic districts, especially those recently designated, the Historic Preservation Review Board (HPRB) has adopted design guidelines tailored to the building types and conditions of the district. The guidelines also include a brief historical overview of the district.
- Anacostia Historic District
- Emerald Street Historic District
- Foxhall Village Historic District
- George Washington University/Old West End Historic District
- Meridian Hill Historic District
- Union Market Terminal Historic District Streetscape Guidelines
Draft design guidelines for the following districts have been released:
- Kingman Park Historic District Draft Design Guidelines
- Bloomingdale Historic District Draft Design Guidelines
Community Historic District Design Guidelines
Several community organizations have developed historic district design guidelines for their own neighborhoods. Although not officially adopted by HPRB, these guidelines provide sound advice and describe the principles that guide preservation review by the respective organizations.
- Capitol Hill Historic District
- Cleveland Park Historic District
- Mount Pleasant Historic District
- Woodley Park Historic District