Most owners of historic property maintain it well and follow the District’s rules for obtaining building permits. The Historic Preservation Office (HPO) includes an inspections and compliance program to ensure that property owners who do not follow these rules cannot undermine the District’s historic qualities and community character.
The HPO inspections and compliance program protects properties in historic districts and historic landmarks in several ways. This includes:
- Stopping illegal construction
- Issuing fines and requiring corrective action for work done without a permit
- Monitoring construction in progress
- Acting against violations of an issued building permit
- Addressing serious failure to comply with DC property maintenance codes.
HPO inspections and compliance actions are coordinated with the inspections program of the Department of Buildings (DOB). DOB manages inspections and enforcement citywide, including in historic areas, for compliance with all aspects of the DC building codes.