Several new projects are planned for the Buzzard Point area to catalyze its long-awaited economic revitalization and overcome its isolated, industrial character. The new public investments include the $600 million Phase 1 replacement of the South Capitol Street Bridge across the Anacostia River and the proposed $300 million DC United Soccer Stadium.
The physical improvements associated with the new South Capitol Street bridge and soccer stadium will transform the public realm and accelerate the redevelopment of Buzzard Point. To ensure that the revitalization is consistent with the aspirations and needs of nearby residents, the District government is preparing an Urban Design Framework Plan for the Buzzard Point area. The Buzzard Point plan will inform and guide public and private development decisions for the next ten years. The purpose of the Buzzard Point Framework Plan is to:
- Develop a framework for Buzzard Point to inform future redevelopment in the context of public realm improvements and amenities that establish a mixeduse, highly walkable neighborhood that is oriented to an enhanced waterfront
- Promote affordable housing advancements, and economic gains that benefit the community
- Identify sustainability targets and environmental remediation practices for future redevelopment and the environment
- Incorporate planned transportation improvements for vehicles, transit, bicyclists, and pedestrians
- Categorize short-, medium-, and long-term phasing for new infrastructure